Membership of International Conventions:
- Paris Union (from 21 January 1992)
- WIPO (from 10 December 1980)
- ARIPO (from 16 January 1986)
Types of Designs available:
- Industrial Designs
An industrial design is new if it has not been disclosed to the public, anywhere in The Gambia by description, by use or in any other way, prior to the filing date or, where applicable the priority date of the application for registration.
Disclosure to the public of the design shall not be taken into consideration if it occurred within six months preceding the filing date or, where applicable, the priority date, of the application, and if it was by reason, or in consequence, of acts committed by the applicant or his predecessor in title or of an abuse committed by a third party with regard to the applicant or his predecessor in title.
A design is any composition of lines or colours or any three dimensional form, whether or not associated with lines or colours, provided that such composition or form gives a special appearance to a product of industry or handicraft and can serve as a pattern for a product of industry or handicraft.
Design protection does not extend to anything in an industrial design which serves solely to obtain a technical result.
Industrial designs that are contrary to public order or morality are not registrable.
- Power of Attorney (can be late filed).
- Drawings, photographs or other adequate graphic representations of the industrial design (required on the day of filing).
- An indication of the kind of products for which the industrial design is to be used.
- Classification in terms of the Locarno Agreement.
- Certified copy of priority document, if priority claimed, with verified English translation (can be late filed within three months from filing).
- Assignment (can be late filed).
Duration and Renewal:
Design registration is valid for an initial term of five years from the filing date, which is renewable upon payment of the required fees for two further terms of five years each. A grace period of six months is provided for late payment of renewal fees.
ARIPO design in which Gambia is designated:
Please see aripo