Membership of International Conventions:
- Paris Union (from 28 September 1989)
- WIPO (from 18 November 1986)
- ARIPO (from 23 October 1987)
Types of Designs available:
- Industrial Designs
An industrial design is new if it has not been disclosed to the public,
a) anywhere in the world, by publication in tangible form; or
b) in Lesotho, by description or by use or in any other way, prior to the filing date or, where applicable, prior to the priority date of the application for registration.
Disclosure to the public of an industrial design shall not be taken into consideration if it occurred within six months preceding the filing date or, where applicable, the priority date of the application, and if it was by reason or in consequence of acts committed by the applicant or his predecessor in title or of an abuse committed by a third party with regard to the applicant or his predecessor in title.
“Industrial design” means any composition of lines or colours or any three-dimensional form, whether or not associated with lines or colours, where such composition or form gives a special appearance to a product of industry or handicraft and can serve as a pattern for a product of industry or handicraft but does not include anything in an industrial design which serves solely to obtain a technical result.
Industrial designs that are contrary to public order or morality are not registrable.
- Power of Attorney (can be late filed, no set deadline).
- Drawings, photographs or other adequate graphic representations of the article embodying the industrial design (required on the day of filing).
- An indication of the kind of products for which the industrial design is to be used.
- Certified copy of priority document, if priority claimed, with verified English translation (can be late filed within three months).
- Assignment (be late filed, no set deadline).
Duration and Renewal:
Design registration is valid for an initial term of five years from the filing date, which is renewable upon payment of the required fees for two further terms of five years each. A grace period of six months is provided for the late payment of the renewal fee.
ARIPO design in which Lesotho is designated:
Please see aripo