Membership of International Conventions:
- Paris Union (from 9 July 1998)
- WIPO (from 23 December 1996)
- ARIPO (from 8 May 2000)
Types of Designs available:
- Industrial Designs
A design must not have been disclosed by means of publication in a tangible form, nor used in any other way, prior to the date of filing or to the date of priority of the application for registration.
The following shall not be considered new:
a) An industrial design which has already been subject to an earlier registration, even though it is
null or has lapsed;
b) That which has been described in publications in such a way as to make it capable of being known
and worked by persons skilled in the art;
c) An industrial design used in a well-known manner or which has become part of the public domain
in any way whatsoever.
Industrial design means any combination of lines or colours or three-dimensional form, which gives a new and original appearance to a product or part of a product and which may serve as a model for the industrial or artisanal manufacture thereof.
Two or more industrial designs may be included in a single application, provided that they are included in the same class or they make up one whole or a single composition of industrial objects.
Design protection may not be obtained for anything contrary to the law or offensive to public order and morality or contra bonos mores.
- Power of Attorney (notarised) (required on the day of filing).
- Drawings, photographs or other graphic images that adequately represent the subject matter of the industrial design for which it is intended and may include an example of the subject matter of the industrial design (required on the day of filing).
- Certified copy of priority document, if priority claimed, with verified Portuguese translation (can be late filed within two months from filing).
- Assignment (can be late filed).
Deferred publication may be requested.
Duration and Renewal:
Duration of an industrial design is five years from the date of filing, renewable for like periods up to a maximum of twenty-five years.
ARIPO design in which Mozambique is designated:
Please see aripo