Membership of International Conventions:
- Paris Union (from 12 May 1998)
- WIPO (from 12 May 1998)
- ARIPO (from 19 August 2014)
- Hague Agreement (from 8 December 2008)
Types of Designs available:
- Industrial Designs
An industrial design is new if it has not been disclosed, in any place of the world by publication, or in Sao Tome and Principe by oral disclosure, use or any other way before the date of filing or, if applicable, from the priority date.
Disclosure to the public of an industrial design shall not be taken into consideration if the disclosure
a) occurred within twelve months preceding the filing date or where applicable, the priority date of the application; and
b) was as a result of acts directly or indirectly committed by the applicant or the applicant's predecessor‐in‐title or of an abuse
committed by a third party with regard to the applicant or the applicant's predecessor in title.
Industrial design means any assembly of lines, colours or any forms of three dimensions, associated or not to lines and colours, since that assembly or that form provide for a special aspect to an industrial or craft product and can be used as a model for manufacturing an industrial or craft product.
Design protection may not be obtained for the elements of an industrial design that are used only for obtaining a technical effect.
An industrial design which is contrary to public order or public morality is not registrable.
- Power of Attorney (can be late filed).
- Drawings or photographs that adequately represent the subject matter of the industrial design (required on the day of filing).
- An indication of the kind of products for which the industrial design is to be used.
- Certified copy of priority document, if priority claimed, with verified Portuguese translation (can be late filed within three months from filing).
- Assignment (can be late filed).
Duration and Renewal:
Design registration is valid for an initial term of five years from the filing date, which is renewable upon payment of the required fees for two further terms of five years each. A grace period of six months is provided for late payment of renewal fees.
ARIPO design in which Sao Tomé E Principe is designated:
Please see aripo