Jeremy SperesPartner - Cape Town, South Africa
Tel: + 27 21 673 4401
Fax: + 27 21 683 5952
BA LLB LLM, Attorney of the High Court of South Africa
Certified Information Privacy Professional / Europe – CIPP/E
Fields of Practice
Jeremy practises intellectual property and IT law, with broad transactional, contentious and prosecution experience around the world.
He has extensive knowledge and experience in global internet law, including domain name law and online IP protection. Jeremy is a World Intellectual Property Organisation (WIPO) domain name dispute panellist, adjudicating complaints under the UDRP and other policies, as well as a .za domain name dispute adjudicator.
He advises on data protection and privacy, cybersecurity legal concerns, software licensing and development agreements and intermediary liability.
Jeremy leads the firm's domain names and online brand enforcement department and is lead counsel in South Africa's first site blocking case.
Jeremy has experience handling contentious and transactional aspects of internet numbering resources, including IPv4, IPv6 and Autonomous Systems (AS), and dealing with Regional Internet Registries. He also has a good technical knowledge of and experience with internet governance and the intermediary ecosystem, including enforcement actions on all major platforms, as well as dark web investigations and payment gateway actions.
- World Intellectual Property Organisation (WIPO) domain name dispute panellist, adjudicating complaints under the UDRP and other policies
- .za domain name dispute adjudicator
- Guest lecturer to IP and IT law students at the University of Cape Town
- Independent Reviewer for the academic journal South African Intellectual Property Law Journal
- Author of Getting the Deal Through – Franchising
- Author of Lexology – Trade Marks
- Author of World Trademark Review – Licensing (South Africa), 2018
- International Association of Privacy Professionals (IAPP)
- Member – South African Institute of Intellectual Property Law (SAIIPL) and Alternative Dispute Resolution Committee Member
- Member – International Trademark Association (INTA)
- Member – Law Society of South Africa (LSSA)
- Member – Legal Practice Council (LPC)
- Jeremy is listed in the Managing Intellectual Property IP Stars Handbook as a “rising star to watch” 2017, 2020-2021
- Listed – Legal 500
- Listed – Luxury Law Alliance
- Consistently nominated by clients as a standout lawyer for the Acritas Stars award since 2015